Private accommodation options for under 18 students
Students are able to reside with a minder, parent or legal custodian living full-time at the residence who takes responsibility for them. In accordance with the Australian Government regulations, Trinity College or the Department of Home Affairs (HA) must approve a student's private accommodation arrangements.
Your visa is approved to stay at your current accommodation. Failure to comply may result in cancellation of your student visa.
Living with a minder in private accommodation
If you are under 18 and require Trinity College to approve your private accommodation arrangements, you must complete the Under 18 Private Accommodation and Minder Nomination Form (SW-013).
Students under 18 are not permitted to live with younger persons or on their own in a private accommodation. There must be an older person (minder) living full-time at the residence, who will take responsibility for them.
In accordance with the Australian Government regulations, Trinity College requires that a minder must be:
- 21 years or older;
- of good character;
- a resident of Melbourne;
- willing to accept responsibility for all aspects of the care, accommodation and welfare of the under 18 student while they are enrolled at Trinity;
- an Australian citizen or have a valid Australian visa;
- living full-time with the student at the approved address.
The Student Wellbeing department will contact the nominated minder for an interview and arrange a home inspection.
Note: a minder nomination submission is subject to approval.
If you wish to live with a minder in a private accommodation, you must submit the Under 18 Private Accommodation and Minder Nomination Form (SW_013) to the Student Wellbeing Office before the below deadlines:
Submission deadlines for minder nomination
||Minder nomination submission deadlines
|January Main Plus 2020
||11 November 2019
|February Main 2020
||9 December 2019
|March Extended 2020
||6 January 2020
|Academic English Program (Level 1/2) 2020
||8 January 2020
|Academic English Program (Level 2) 2020
||26 March 2020
|Academic English Program (Level 1) 2020
9 April 2020
Important notes and reminders:
- minder nomination submissions received after the above deadlines will not be processed;
- it takes at least 5 to 10 working days (or longer) for the Student Wellbeing Office to conduct and process a minder assessment, including an interview and home inspection;
- application submission does not guarantee an approval, therefore parents should choose and plan the accommodation ahead of time;
- the proposed living arrangement should not exceed one-hour travel time, and should be within 10-minute of walking distance to public transport. Refer to Public Transport Victoria (PTV) to check travel times;
- once a CAAW is issued for a student to live with a minder in a private address, the student should remain in the care of the same minder whilst under 18, unless the student is approved by Trinity's Housing & Accommodation Office to move into an under 18 pre-approved accommodation. No private address and/or change of minder will be considered after the CAAW is issued;
- should the minder or student breach any of the CAAW conditions, Trinity College reserves the right to revoke its decision and deem the accommodation, care and/or welfare arrangements as inappropriate and unsatisfactory. This may result in immediate cancellation of the student's visa;
- Trinity College reserves the right to reverse or vary any decision made on the basis of incomplete or false information provided.
Living with a parent, legal custodian or relative
If you intend to live with a parent, legal custodian or relative and do not require Trinity College to issue you with a Confirmation of Appropriate Accommodation and Welfare document, you must advise the Department of Home Affairs (HA) directly of your accommodation arrangements. You must also advise Trinity College that you do not require a Confirmation of Appropriate Accommodation and Welfare document by completing the Under 18 HA Welfare Declaration form (174kb). This form must be submitted when you accept your place at Trinity College and the College will then issue a Confirmation of Enrolment without a Confirmation of Appropriate Accommodation and Welfare document.
HA has specific accommodation and welfare regulations for students under 18. Find out more about the Department's requirements.
Last updated: 20 October 2019.