Students sitting at a table

Apply for a Student Visa

If you are a student travelling from overseas, firstly ensure your passport is valid for the entire period you will be in Australia. All visitors to Australia (New Zealand nationals exempt) require a visa to enter the country.

Before applying for a student visa, students must be accepted into full-time study in a registered Australian course.

A registered course is an education or training course offered by an Australian education provider registered to offer courses to overseas students on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Course for Overseas Students (CRICOS).

The Australian Government issues student visas for full-time study on the understanding that you study on-campus and have sufficient funds to cover your tuition fees and living expenses for the duration of your time in Australia.

To apply for a student visa, contact the Australian Diplomatic Mission (i.e.. Australia Government office) in your home country. Your representative may be an Embassy, High Commission, Consulate or Consulate-General.

Search for your local Australian Overseas Representative Office and refer to the Student Visa Conditions for more detailed information.

Accepted students

The Department of Home Affairs (HA) required all student visa holders to submit a clear copy of their passport and visa to their Education Provider (Trinity College). This information is also required by Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for verification purposes when we open a policy and take out OSHC on your behalf.

Please email a copy of your passport and e-visa to the Trinity College Foundation Studies Registrations Team. You may also submit this information at the time of your commencement at Trinity College.


In accordance with student visa conditions, Trinity College monitors student attendance in all lectures, tutorials and practical sessions. Students who do not achieve an 80% attendance record in a particular semester are in breach of their visa conditions and are reported to the Australian Commonwealth Department of Home Affairs (HA). Students reported to HA for not meeting the attendance requirements are at great risk of having their visa cancelled.

Academic results

To satisfy the Requirements of Satisfactory Progress, students must meet the following criteria.

By the end of semester 1 (or equivalent) must HAVE:

  • have attended at least 80% of classes
  • have attempted all assessable tasks and tests and hand in all assessable tasks
  • have attempted at least 80% of non-assessable tasks such as class exercises/class work
  • have attend all interviews arranged to discuss academic progress
  • have attend any extra classes or attempted any extra work recommended to help improve the student's performance
  • have obtained 50% + in EAP and at least two subjects* and at least 40% + in one other subject

By the final term of the program MUST:

  • have attended at least 80% of classes
  • have obtained 50% + in EAP and at least two subjects* and at least 40% + in one other subject

Students who do not meet these requirements will receive a letter from Trinity College, and may be reported to HA.

*Note: Literature and Drama are elements of one subject, English. English for Academic Purposes is a separate requirement and cannot be counted as one of the four subjects needed to satisfy the definition of satisfactory progress.

Course progress and intervention procedure

Trinity College will:

  • record all marks for all assessed tasks in each subject
  • record attendance at classes
  • prepare and distribute an academic report for each subject to students and parents - these reports include marks where appropriate and record of absences
  • discuss at Academic Review Meeting (ARM) all students who have failed a subject or who have been identified as of concern

In addition to ARM, or subsequent to ARM, intervention includes one or more of the following:

  • one-to-one consultation with lecturer
  • one-to-one consultation with mentor
  • official letter from Trinity to the student and/or parents
  • meeting with one or more departments: Academic Administration, Teaching and Learning, Student Wellbeing, Counseling

Students who fail to achieve satisfactory progress may be reported to the Department of Home Affairs (HA). Any student reported to HA will first be contacted by Trinity, and informed of the grounds of Trinity's decision. Students have the right to appeal against the College's decision to report them to HA. Please see Trinity's Complaint Policy for more detailed information.

Late commencement

It is requested that all students who enrol in the Trinity College Foundation Studies program lodge their student visa application with enough time for their visa to be granted and that they arrive on time for the commencement of their program. Students, parents and/or agents should therefore make inquiries to the nearest Australian Embassy or outpost regarding visa requirements and processing timelines and take this into consideration at the time of a student's enrolment in TCFS.

Trinity College requires students to be in Melbourne ready to begin on the commencement date specified for their particular program. Late commencement in the program is at the discretion of Trinity College. If a student knows that they are unable to being on the commencement date of their program, they must notify TCFS immediately. There is then a probability that they will be transferred into another appropriate intake at a future date.

If a student then chooses not to accept the new intake and commencement date and wishes to withdraw their enrolment they will be subject to the terms and conditions of Trinity's Refund Policy.

Change of address

Students must inform their Education Provider (Trinity College) of their current residential address within seven days of arrival and any change of address in Australia within seven days of the change. Students must also notify their current provider of any change to a new provider.

Students under 18 - student visa condition 8532

In accordance with student visa condition 8532, under 18 students must seek approval from Trinity College before changing their address details in Melbourne.

Students over 18 - student visa condition 8533

In accordance with student visa condition 8533, students over 18 years of age must notify Trinity College of a change to their Melbourne address within seven days of moving.