This year we celebrate the centenary of the consecration of the Chapel. For 100 years, students, staff and alumni of Trinity College and Janet Clarke Hall have come together to worship in the Chapel with members of the wider community.

Chapel 658x168

To celebrate this milestone in the life of the Chapel and Trinity College, join us for a Choral Eucharist service on Saturday 25 November 2017 at 5pm for service, followed by refreshments. More information here.

Trinity College Chapel is an Anglican Church in Trinity College’s grounds at the University of Melbourne. People of all denominations and faiths or none are welcome at Chapel worship.

The College Chaplains, eminent visiting preachers and members of both the Trinity and Janet Clarke Hall communities all preach at various services throughout the year.

Chapel services reflect the rich Anglican heritage of Trinity College, but it is not necessary to be an Anglican or a regular worshipper to join in Chapel worship and other activities.

Staff and students from the University and the wider community join students and staff in Sunday and weekday worship.

Students and staff may also join in Chapel activities including bible studies and College retreats.

Each December, the College celebrates Advent with a Festival of Lessons and Carols.

The Chapel is also available for life event ceremonies, including weddings and funerals.

Find out more about Events in the Trinity Chapel

Chapel Opening Hours

9.00AM-5.30PM Monday-Friday

Open for services Saturday and Sunday.

Regular Services Times


5.00pm: Choral Evensong (during University semester)

Our Evensong pewsheets are now available online. Please see this week's pew sheet


9.00am: Morning Prayer 

3.30pm: Holy Eucharist (during University semester)*


9.00am: Morning Prayer


8.00am: Holy Eucharist


9.00am: Morning Prayer 

5.45pm: Choral Evensong (during University semester)* 


9.00am: Morning Prayer


5.30pm: Taizé, contemplative prayer (first Saturday of each month)

*University semester is from 26 February to 26 May excluding 16 to 23 April due to Easter break.

Chapel Events

Semester 1 Events 2017

Our Evensong sermon series for Semester 1 is on 'Sex, Money, and Power'.

26 February: The Rev. Can. Prof. Dorothy Lee - Sex, the Body, and the Bible - listen here

5 March: The Rev. Fuzz Kitto - The Temptations of Human Trafficking- listen here

12 March: Dr Stephen Duckett - The Price of Health- read here

19 March: Professor Ian Harper - Economics and Christianity- listen here

26 March: Bishop Genieve Blackwell - Power and the Church- listen here

2 April: The Rev. Jasmine Dow - Whose Power Anyway? - listen here

Semester 2 Events 2017

Our Evensong sermon series for Semester 2 is on 'Our College; Our Chapel; Our Future'.

6 August: Bishop Alison Taylor - read here

20 August: Miranda Gronow - listen here

27 August: Christopher Roper AM - listen here

3 September: Senhao Huang - listen here

Chapel art and architecture

Trinity Chapel was designed by Tasmanian architect Alexander North and built during the second decade of the 20th Century. The building was funded by Melbourne businessman John Sutcliffe Horsfall in memory of his daughter Edith Carington.

North used native timbers, particularly Tasmanian oak, and local materials exclusively throughout the Chapel’s interior. He depicted native flora and fauna in the decorative woodwork, replacing traditional English and Anglican emblems and motifs with depictions of eucalyptus leaves and waratahs in art nouveau style. Carved possums, platypuses and bandicoots attributed to the leading Australian woodcarver Robert Prenzel are depicted on the armrests of the pews.

North designed a wood-carved eagle as a book-rest for the Chapel lectern which was carved by sculptor JJR Tranthim–Fryer. This was presented to the College by the Carse family in memory of Franc Carse who died in action in the First World War.

The Chapel has beautiful stained glass windows and many examples of religious art, including a reproduction of Madonna della Seggiola (c.1865) by an unknown artist, which was presented to the College by Alexander Mollison in about 1880.