This subject aims to foster an understanding of major biological concepts, an awareness of how such concepts are connected within the biological sciences, and an appreciation and interest in biological science as an integral part of society and everyday life.
The subject provides a strong foundation for further study of the biological sciences and related disciplines.
- cell structure and function: biological molecules, prokaryotes, eukaryotes and organelles, energy systems
- plants: plant cells, tissues and the plant body
- animals: tissues and organs, organ systems
- genetics: cell division, inheritance, gene expression, genetic engineering, human genetics, reproduction and development
- evolution and diversity: evidence and mechanisms for evolution, viruses, bacteria, fungi and protists
Practical classes: 20%