This subject develops communication skills, particularly using English language within the Australian social and cultural context. It promotes group skills, fosters creativity and imagination, develops self-confidence and encourages initiative, responsibility and leadership.
Drama constitutes for 30% of the overall English mark.
This subject includes:
- developing a sense of the physical self through mime and movement
- understanding dramatic elements such as space, time and tension
- exploration, understanding and development of text, and working solo, in pairs or in larger groups
- improvisation, characterisation, role-playing, monologue and dialogue
- theatrical storytelling - both literal and abstract (through images, text and poetry), culminating in group performances
- voice projection and articulation.
There are two solo assessment tasks and two group tasks throughout the year:
- solo physical communication task and solo monologue: 10%
- group-devised performance, incorporating performance, self-evaluation and participation components: 10%
- final group performance exam, incorporating performance and participating components: 10%