New intensive unit in 2021: Anglican church law and governance
In 2021, Trinity College Theological School is excited to offer Australia’s first and only unit in Anglican church law and governance.
Who is the unit for?
This intensive unit is designed for Australian Anglican clergy members and parish officers, including bishops, chancellors, advocates and registrars, along with anyone interested in church law and governance. You do not need to be ordained to attend and we welcome students of all backgrounds.
The Anglican Church Law and Governance intensive can be taken for credit or audited as a single unit, or as a unit within the Graduate Certificate of Divinity, specialising in Advanced Church Leadership.
What does the unit cover?
We will pack a lot of information into this unit to ensure you are up to date in your knowledge about Anglican church law and governance, as it applies to the contemporary church.
- theological understandings of the church and law in the New Testament and early church
- canon law of the Church of England and Anglican Church of Australia
- governance of parishes
- the clergy: status, role, responsibilities and discipline
- maintenance of professional standards
- law and governance of dioceses, provinces and the Australian national church
- conduct of worship and the pastoral offices.
When will it run?
The unit will be held over two 2.5-day sessions at Trinity College Theological School in Parkville, Melbourne:
1–3 July (Thursday–Saturday) 2021
22–24 July (Thursday–Saturday) 2021
More details about timings will be sent to participants closer to the date.
Please note, at this stage, there is no plan to run this unit online. Participants will be required to attend face-to-face classes over two weekends in Melbourne.
Who are the teachers?
We are pleased to have lined up a number of distinguished bishops, diocesan chancellors and theologians to teach this unit, led by Mr Michael Shand AM QC and the Revd Dr Alex Ross.
Our lecturers will include:
- The Most Revd Dr Phillip Aspinall
- The Right Revd Dr Bradly Billings
- The Right Revd Genieve Blackwell
- Mr Garth Blake AM SC
- Judge Elizabeth Brimer QC
- Ms Rachel Ellyard, Barrister
- The Revd Canon Professor Dorothy Lee FAHA
- The Revd Professor Mark Lindsay FRHistS
- The Hon Keith Mason AC QC
- The Revd Dr David Powys
- The Right Revd Alison Taylor
- Dr Robert Tong AM
The registration fee if this unit is taken alone for audit is $400. Those interested in taking Anglican Church Law and Governance for credit should contact the Trinity College Theological School at firstname.lastname@example.org
Limited bursaries are available. Please contact email@example.com for more information about financial support.
How to register