23 Feature Story Alexander North, a highly regarded Tasmanian ecclesiastical architect, was awarded first place, and North’s design was approved by council. The matter of funding the Chapel’s construction was another consideration. Initially, funds were slow to flow, but in a special meeting of the Council in March 1913, a magnificent offer of £10,000 was generously received from John Sutcliffe Horsfall in memory of his daughter Edith Carington who had died in January 1908. Builders and craftsmen were carefully selected to incorporate the many specialised elements and finishes that were required in the construction of the Chapel. The Chapel’s interior is an excellent example of the Arts and Crafts style. Alexander North used native timbers, particularly Tasmanian oak, and local materials exclusively throughout the Chapel’s interior. He depicted native flora and fauna in the decorative woodwork, with eucalyptus leaves and waratahs portrayed in art nouveau style. Carved possums, platypuses and bandicoots attributed to the leading Prussian-born Australian woodcarver Robert Prenzel are depicted on the armrests of the pews. North designed a wood- carved eagle as a book-rest for the Chapel lectern, which was carved by sculptor JJR Tranthim-Fryer. In 1914, the foundation stone of Malmsbury bluestone was blessed by the Archbishop and laid by the donor in a special ceremony. A document prepared by the Warden, comprising the history of the College and a record of the donation, were wrapped in a Union Jack and placed beneath the stone. In 1917, construction was finally complete and the Chapel was consecrated on Saturday 24 November. A long procession opened the proceedings, making their way from the old Chapel in the Leeper Building to the new Chapel. This included the Chancellor of the Diocese, Archbishop Clarke, the Warden and the masters of Ormond and Queen’s Colleges, past and present students, and members of the College. Many of those that had been involved, from initial conception though to construction of the Chapel, must have felt a sense of pride and achievement to see their commitment and efforts coming to fruition in the creation of such a wonderful monument and addition to the College. A similar procession took place this year when the centenary of the Chapel’s consecration was celebrated with a Choral Eucharist service on Saturday 25 November. Alumni memories of the Chapel The Chapel has played an important part in the life events of many Trinity alumni over the past century. Generations of families have held and attended christenings, weddings and funerals in the Chapel. During the years when Trinity was a male college and female students resided at Janet Clarke Hall, males would sit on the right side of the Chapel and females on the left, facing each other across the nave. Alumni have shared their memories of looking forward to Chapel services, where eye contact and smiles were inevitable. Several marriages between Trinity College and Janet Clarke Hall alumni are the result of relationships that grew from these first glances. First World War Armistice Commemoration in 2018 The Chapel also commemorates the almost 300 alumni of Trinity College and Janet Clarke Hall who served, and the 42 who lost their lives, in the First World War. The loss of so many young people of promise was a tragedy felt deeply within our community. Their names can be found on the mosaic honour board at the Chapel’s western end, alongside stained-glass windows gifted by grieving families. In November 2018, the College will commemorate the centenary of the First World War Armistice with a service in the Chapel, yet another. All will be welcome to attend as we recognise another milestone in the life of the Chapel. Acknowledgement is made of Caroline Miley’s, Trinity College Chapel, An Appreciation, for many of the details in this article. Carved possums, platypuses and bandicoots attributed to Prussian- born Australian woodcarver Robert Prenzel are depicted on the armrests of the pews. View looking west towards the Horsfall Chapel after the addition of the annexe, late 1950s. Trinity College Archives, MM 003042.