Trinitytoday 22 Feature Story When baby Charlotte Finlayson was baptised in the Trinity Chapel earlier this year, she was blissfully unaware of the history that was taking place around her. Charlotte is the granddaughter of Trinity Fellow Anthony Buzzard (TC 1960). Anthony’s family have come together for many important events in the Chapel, including Anthony’s wedding to wife Pamela, and the baptisms of sons James (TC 2003) and Jeremy. They also celebrated Jeremy’s wedding to Jennifer Adler (TC 1995) and the wedding of daughter Caroline to Callum Finlayson in 2014. The baptism of Caroline’s daughter Charlotte marks the latest generation of this family to be welcomed into the Chapel. Many generations of Trinity College and Janet Clarke Hall alumni have come together to welcome, celebrate, and farewell family and friends, and to worship, in this special place. For a century the Chapel has been an important expression of the Anglican foundations and Christian values of Trinity College and Janet Clarke Hall. Whether it be for Evensong services, the Commemoration of Founders and Benefactors, the celebration of Advent with Lessons and Carols, life events or for quiet prayer, the Chapel is both a symbolic and physical reminder of Trinity’s commitment to being a place of worship for people of Anglican faith, of all faiths, and none. This year we celebrate the centenary of the consecration of the Trinity College Chapel, more formally known as Horsfall Chapel, after Melbourne businessman John Sutcliffe Horsfall, its main benefactor at the time of construction. Although an integral part of the fabric of the College today, the Chapel we now recognise did not exist in the very early days of our College history. Students first attended a parish church, and then the common room in the original Old Warden’s Lodge (Leeper Building) was used for prayers. In 1878, this room was fitted as a chapel, seating about 40. However, with 60 to 70 students already in residence and requiring a space for worship, as well as women from Janet Clarke Hall, and staff, the need for a new chapel was clear. In 1909, the College Council decided to pursue the goal of building a new chapel and to procure a design for it through a competition. Advertisements were taken out in local and interstate press and a chapel committee was formed. In the early days, students attended a parish church, and then the common room in the Old Warden’s Lodge was used for prayers. Funds were slow to flow [until] a magnificent offer of £10,000 was received from John Sutcliffe in memory of his daughter. CHAPEL MARKS A CENTURY OF SERVICE The wedding of Caroline Craig and Callum Finlayson in the Chapel in 2014. The Choir prepare to sing in the Chapel at Founders and Benefactors in 2017. Feature Story BY PAULETTE TREVENA