ARMISTICE DAY 23 TRINITY TODAY medicine after overcoming the obstinance of the University, headed up a military hospital in France. She was recognised with the rank of major by the French Government and praised for ‘doing work of exceptional value’.2 Viva St George Summons (née Sproule) (TC 1902) served as a nurse with the Red Cross in Egypt in 1915, while her medico husband and former College tutor, Colonel Walter Summons, was based at No.1 Australian General Hospital at Heliopolis, Egypt. Fellow medical graduate Dr Vera Scantlebury (TC 1907) performed surgery at the Endell Street Military Hospital in London during some of the bloodiest fighting of 1917 across Bullecourt, Messines and Passchendaele. For her, the conflict had an intimately personal touch. Her sister Dorothy had become engaged to Robert Bage the month after war broke out. Bage (who had accompanied Mawson to the Antarctic in 1911) was killed at Gallipoli. Encounters with fellow alumni at the front brought a measure of familiarity to the shattered existence of the conflict. Military chaplain the Reverend Kenneth Henderson (TC 1908), who published his wartime experiences as Khaki and Cassocks (1919), recounts a moment as dusk settled over the Somme battlefields. He had dined with two colleagues from College, and on their way back to camp had begun ‘reminiscing about the old Trinity days’ when they stumbled upon a small cemetery in Becourt Wood. As night fell, the staff captain, known as a brilliant classicist, began softly reciting Thucydides’ memorable account of Pericles’ speech over the Athenian dead. Words, as Henderson wrote, that were ‘strangely analogous to the struggle which was again beginning to break into the quiet of this evening.’ With the centenary of the Great War’s conclusion being commemorated this year, Trinity is proud to have a permanent memorial to our fallen. Produced in bronze by renowned military sculptor Ross Bastiaan (TC 1969), whose work can be seen across the Somme, Gallipoli and elsewhere Australians have served, the memorial has been supported by Bruce (TC 1959) and Judy Munro. Installed in the gardens of Bishops’ Building, it is surrounded by the two residential wings that many of those who served would have called home and overlooks the Chapel where many of them are forever remembered. 1 Report of Trinity College Council for 1913-14 to the Diocesan Synods of Victoria. 2 Report of Trinity College Council for 1914-15 to the Diocesan Synods of Victoria. CLOCKWISE FROM MAIN: The 1910 College rifle team at the original entrance to the Dining Hall. All five saw active service, while three would be killed during the war; Temporary memorial wall erected in the Junior Common Room, 1923; Return of the University Rifles’ regimental colours to the Chapel in readiness for the 16th anniversary of Armistice Day, 7 November 1936; Carved lectern designed by Chapel architect Alexander North and gifted in memory of alumnus Franc Carse in 1922.