International Students

Trinity seeks to provide overseas students studying at the University of Divinity with a safe, enjoyable and rewarding place to study.

International students are defined by the Australian Government as those who do not hold Australian or New Zealand citizenship and have not been granted Permanent Resident status in Australia. You may only enter and remain in Australia as an international student if you hold a valid student visa. The Commonwealth Government’s Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) requires all international students to study full time. (Note that international students not resident in Australia may study online at Trinity without a student visa.)

Payment of tuition fees must be made in advance, together with the completion of all necessary documentation required by DIAC, including evidence that they can meet all living costs during their time in Australia. The Department of Home Affairs (HA) requires that international students have Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the duration of their studies in Australia, prior to applying for a student visa.

The English standard requirement for undergraduates is an IELTS average across all bands of at least 6.5 with no band under 6.0, and for graduate programs an average across all bands of at least 7.0, with no band under 6.5. 

Please find below links to help international students apply for admission and to access supportings services.

Studying at the University of Divinity

Applying for a Student Visa

Obtaining a student visa can take several months, and may vary depending of which country you are applying from. Please see the general information on applying for a student visa provided on the University of Divinity website.

Application Closing Dates

International students may commence studies in Semester 1 or Semester 2 each year. To allow time for processing of applications and for the Australian Government to issue the appropriate visa, the closing dates for applications are:

  • 15 November for admission in Semester 1 the following year
  • 15 April for admission in Semester 2

Student Support

The Colleges within the University offer services to support and help students to succeed in their studies. These include:

  • A compulsory orientation program for all new overseas students
  • Library orientation tours
  • Course advice and course planning
  • Access to English language skills assistance
  • Access to academic skills assistance

Pastoral Care

Students should feel free to contact one of the staff and especially one of the trained Chaplains to discuss matters of personal concern that affect their ability to study successfully. Chaplains can provide hlepful advice on matters that are upsetting you, and can refer you to professional help if necessary.

The Revd Marilyn Hope (Honorary Chaplain to the Theological School)

The Revd Samuel Dow (College Chaplain)

Emergency contacts

In Australia, call 000 (triple zero) for all emergencies requiring the immediate attendance of police, ambulance or the fire department. The nearest hospital to the Trinity campus is the Royal Melbourne Hospital on the corner of Royal Parade and Grattan Street.

For all matters of personal concern, your first point of contact is the Registrar. During business hours, the Registrar will be able to direct you to nearby doctors and other facilities. A registered Nurse is also available during normal business hours for advice and first aid.

If you require urgent assistance after hours and cannot contact anyone at Trinity, please call the University’s after-hours hotline on 1800 775 691.

Useful links