Student Visas

If you are a student travelling from overseas, firstly ensure your passport is valid for the entire period you will be in Australia. All visitors to Australia (New Zealand nationals exempt) require a visa to enter the country.

Accepted students | AttendanceLate commencement | Change of Address | Employment

Before applying for a student visa, students must be accepted into full-time study in a registered Australian course.

A registered course is an education or training course offered by an Australian education provider registered to offer courses to overseas students on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS). 

Trinity College CRICOS Provider Code


Trinity College Foundation Studies (Fast Track)


Trinity College Foundation Studies (Main Plus)


Trinity College Foundation Studies (Main)


The Australian Government issues student visas for full-time study on the understanding that you study on-campus and have sufficient funds to cover your tuition fees and living expenses for the duration of your time in Australia.

To apply for a student visa, contact the Australian Diplomatic Mission (ie Australian Government office) in your home country. Your representative may be an Embassy, High Commission, Consulate or Consulate-General. Have a look at Student Visa Immigration Information or search for your local Australian Overseas Representative Office.

Please refer to Student Visa Conditions webpage for more detailed information.

Accepted students

The Department of Home Affairs (HA) The Department of Home Affairs requires all student visa holders to submit a clear copy of their passport and visa to their Education Provider (Trinity College). This information is also required by Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for verification purposes when we open a policy and take out OSHC on your behalf.

Please email a copy of your passport and (e)visa to the Registration Department at

You may also submit this information at the time of your commencement at Trinity College.


In accordance with student visa conditions, Trinity College monitors student attendance in all lectures, tutorials and practical sessions. Students who do not achieve an 80% attendance record in a particular semester are in breach of their visa conditions and are reported to the Australian Commonwealth Department of Home Affairs (HA). Students reported to HA in this way are at great risk of having their visa cancelled.

Satisfactory Academic Results

To satisfy the Requirements of Satisfactory Progress, students must meet the following criteria.

Main and Fast Track Intake academic progress:

To meet the requirements of Satisfactory Progress, students must meet the academic requirements as outlined in the course documents.

By the end of Semester 1 (or equivalent) students must have:

  • attended at least 80% of Classes.
  • attempted all assessable tasks and tests and hand in all assessable tasks.
  • attempt at least 80% of non-assessable tasks such as class exercises/class work
  • attended all interviews arranged to discuss academic progress.
  • attended any extra classes or attempted any extra work recommended to help improve the student's performance.
  • obtained 50%+ in EAP and at least two subjects* and at least 40%+ in one other subject.

Final Term of the Program:

  • attended at least 80% of Classes.
  • obtained 50%+ or above in at least three subjects* and at least 40%+ in one other subject.

Students not meeting the above requirements will receive a letter from Trinity College, and may be reported to the HA.

*Literature and Drama are elements of one subject, English. English For Academic Purposes is a separate requirement and cannot be counted as one of the four subjects needed to satisfy the definition of satisfactory progress. 

Extended intake academic progress:

At the end of Term 1 the student MUST:

- have current attendance of 80%

At the end of Term 2 the student MUST:

- have maintained 'current' attendance of 80%

- have obtained 50% in four subjects including EAP

(Drama and Literature represent two separate subjects.)

If students do not achieve the above requirements, they will not be allowed into the Main Intake.

To study Mathematics (1 & 2), Chemistry or Physics in the Main Intake, students must study the subject in AE and obtain 50%.

Course Progress & Intervention Procedure  

Trinity College will:

  • record marks for all assessed tasks in each subject
  • record attendance at classes
  • Prepare and distribute to students and parents academic reports for each subject – these reports include marks where appropriate and record of absences
  • discuss at Academic Review Meeting (ARM) all students who have failed a subject or who have been identified as of concern.

In addition to ARM, or subsequent to ARM, intervention includes one or more of the following:

  • one-to-one consultation with lecturer
  • one-to-one consultation with mentor
  • official letter from Trinity to the student and/or parents
  • meeting with one or more departments: Academic Administration, Teaching and Learning, Student Welfare, Counselling.

Students who fail to achieve satisfactory progress may be reported to the Department of Home Affairs (HA). Any student reported to HA will first be contacted by Trinity, and informed of the grounds of Trinity's decision. Students have the right to appeal against the College’s decision to report them to HA. Please see Trinity's Complaint Policy for more detailed information.

Late Commencement

It is requested that all students who enrol in the Foundation Studies Program lodge their student visa application within a sufficient timeframe for their visa to be granted and that they arrive on time for the commencement of their studies in the Trinity College Foundation Studies (TCFS).  Students, parents and/or agents should therefore make inquiries to the nearest Australian Embassy or outpost regarding visa requirements and processing timelines and take this into consideration at the time of a student's enrolment in the TCFS.

Trinity College expects students to be in Melbourne ready to begin on the commencement date specified for their particular program.  Late commencement in the program is at the discretion of Trinity College.  If a student knows that they are not able to begin on the commencement date of their program, they must notify TCFS immediately. There is then a probability that they will be transferred into another appropriate program at a future date.  

If a student then chooses not to accept the new program and commencement date and wishes to withdraw their enrolment they will be subject to the terms and conditions of Trinity's Refund Policy.

Notification of a Change of Address

Students must inform their education provider (Trinity College) of their current residential address within seven days of arrival and of any change of address in Australia within seven days of the change. Students must also notify their current provider of any change of enrolment to a new provider.

Students Under 18 – Student Visa Condition 8532

In accordance with student visa condition 8532, under 18 students must seek approval from Trinity College before changing their address details in Melbourne.

Students Over 18 – Student Visa Condition 8533

In accordance with student visa condition 8533, students must notify Trinity College of a change to their Melbourne address within 7 days of moving.


Most student visa holders are entitled to work up to 40 hours per fortnight while their course is in session and unlimited hours during scheduled course breaks. Students must commence their course before they are eligible to start work. Please ensure you check your visa as entitlements may vary. Visit the employment & visas information at the University of Melbourne website.