This subject provides a foundation for further study in chemistry and related disciplines. The focus is on understanding chemical concepts and calculations, development of laboratory and reporting skills, awareness of safety protocols, fluency in terminology, and an appreciation of the role of chemistry in our world.
- nomenclature and stoichiometry
- atomic structure and bonding
- liquids and gases
- chemistry of main group elements, transition metals and coordination chemistry
- organic chemistry and spectroscopy
- food chemistry
- green chemistry
- fundamentals of chemical reactions: thermochemistry, kinetics and chemical equilibria
- acid-base equilibria
- redox chemistry, electrolysis and extraction of metals.
Attendance and participation: 5%
Practical classes: 15%