The unit aims to help students understand and engage thoughtfully with the contexts and questions that have arisen in the past and present theological discussion about Jesus Christ in relation to the Father and the Spirit, and to human life and community. In exploring the doctrine of the person and work of Jesus Christ as hope for the world, the central issues treated will include the understanding of salvation through Jesus Christ, the doctrine of the Incarnation and the significance of the crucifixion, resurrection and hope for human kind and for creation.
Upon successful completion of this unit, it is expected that students will be able to:
- Demonstrate a thoughtful and critical awareness of the theology of Jesus Christ.
- Elaborate and evaluate the major developments in this theology as developed in the definitions of Nicaea and Chalcedon and in the later challenges since modernity.
- Articulate the strengths and weaknesses of key ways of understanding salvation in with regard to incarnation, teaching, cross, and resurrection.
- Establish a critical appreciation of historical and contemporary theologies of Jesus Christ, in Trinitarian perspective.
- Formulate and engage critically with a theology of Jesus Christ for today.
*recommended for purchase
Bauckham, R. Jesus and the God of Israel. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2008.
Bockmuehl, M. The Cambridge Companion to Jesus. Cambridge: CUP, 2001.
Borg, M.J. & N.T. Wright. The Meaning of Jesus: Two Visions. London: SPCK, 1999.
Del Colle, Ralph. Christ and Spirit: Spirit Christology in Trinitarian Perspective, New York: OUP, 1994.
Hall, D.J. The Cross in Our Context. Minneapolis: Fortress, 2003.
Matera, F.J. New Testament Christology. Louisville: Westminster/John Knox, 1999.
McDermott, B. Word Become Flesh: Dimensions of Christology. Collegeville: Liturgical Press, 1993.
Merrigan, T. & Haers, J. (eds). The Myriad Christ. Leuven: University Press, 2000.
Moltmann, J. The Way of Jesus Christ. London: SCM, 1990.
O’Collins, G.C. Christology. Oxford: OUP, 2009.
Wright, N.T. Jesus and the Victory of God. London: SPCK, 1996.