||This unit offers an advanced study of the Gospel of Luke. It will focus on exegesis of the special material in Luke as well as consideration of the Lukan redaction of Synoptic material, particularly the Gospel of Mark. It will also explore themes such as salvation, Christology, poverty, social justice, hospitality and ethnicity in Luke. These themes will be studies in relation to Luke’s narrative methods and literary structure, including the use of key images and symbols. Some attention will also be given to the Acts of the Apostles, the sequel to Luke’s Gospel, in order to gain a deeper sense of Luke’s overall purpose, structure and theology.
Upon successful completion of this unit, it is expected that students will be able to:
- demonstrate a sound grasp of the overall contents, structure, theology, and symbolism of the Gospel of Luke
- determine the likely sources of Luke’s Gospel and their redaction, thus demonstrating an ability to work with Luke as a Synoptic Gospel,
- critically exegete and interpret passages in the Gospel of Luke utilising consolidated exegetical skills
- assess secondary sources on aspects of the Gospel of Luke and its theology
- engage with contemporary debates on the interpretation of the Gospel of Luke.
* recommended for purchase
Bartholomew, C.G., J.B. Green & A.C. Thiselton, ed. Reading Luke: Interpretation, Reflection, Formation. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2005.
Bovon, F. Luke 1. Luke 2. Luke 3. 3 vols. Hermeneia. Minneapolis: Fortress, 2002–2013.
* Byrne, B. The Hospitality of God: A Reading of Luke’s Gospel. Collegeville: Liturgical, 2000.
* Carroll, J.T. Luke: A Commentary. Louisville: Westminster John Knox, 2012.
Fitzmyer, J.A. The Gospel According to Luke. 2 vols. Anchor Bible 28 & 28A. Garden City, NY: Doubleday, 1981-85.
Green, J.B. Luke. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1997.
* Johnson, L.T. The Gospel of Luke. Sacra Pagina 3. Collegeville: Michael Glazier (Liturgical), 1991.
Lieu, J. The Gospel of Luke. Epworth Commentaries. Peterborough: Epworth, 1997.
Nolland, J. Luke 1–9:20. Luke 9:21–18:34. Luke 18:35–24:53. 3 vols. Word Biblical Commentary 35A–35C. Dallas: Word Books, 1989–1993.
Talbert, C.H. Reading Luke. 2nd ed. Reading the New Testament. Macon, GA.: Smyth & Helwys, 2002.
Tannehill, R.C. Luke. Abingdon New Testament Commentaries. Nashville: Abingdon, 1996.