Renowned Australian sculptor, Michael Meszaros, recently visited Trinity to install a series of medallions cast by his father, artist Andor Mészáros (1900–72), in the foyer of the Theological School.
The series of 14 original bronze medallions depict the Stations of the Cross. The first of the series was produced in the early 1940s, with subsequent medallions being produced after Andor was commissioned to sculpt the altarpiece for St Anselm's Chapel at the Canterbury Cathedral, England, at the end of the decade, hence the title commonly given to the works as The Canterbury Series. He continued to return to the series throughout his career, with the final medallion produced as late as the 1970s.
The series is the miniature version of the full-sized Canterbury Series already on display in the College Chapel, which was presented to the College in 2010 by the Rev Tim Gaden. In preparing the series for mounting, and in order to complete the narrative of the series, the College has purchased the 15th medallion – the Resurrection – from Michael Meszaros, who was commissioned to produce it after his father's death, in 1981.
Meszaros has mounted the series so that the composition of each medallion echoes the rises and falls of the Stations of the Cross narrative; a striking new addition to the Theological School foyer, and wonderful addition to the College's Art Collection.