Trinity’s buildings on its Royal Parade Campus are unique, rich in history, and connect the students, staff and visitors to the College.
The Behan building is named after the second Warden, Sir John Clifford Valentine Behan (1918-46), and is identified by its solid stone, traditional construction.
The Bishops' Buildings
The Bishops' building is named after the first two Bishops of Melbourne: Bishop Perry who founded Trinity College in 1872; and Bishop Moorhouse who founded the Trinity Theological School in 1878. Today the building contains residential rooms, tutors’ flats, the Senior Common Room and the Chaplains’ offices.
The Clarke Buildings
The Clarke's residential building for students was opened in 1883-87. Today it is home of the Junior Common Room, the Billiards Room, the Computer Room and the ER White Collection of contemporary art. A shady cloister runs along the length of the building forming the north side of the planned quadrangle.
Cowan, a residential building, overlooks the Bulpadock and Royal Parade. Built in 1963-65, this residential building was named after the third Warden, Mr Ron Cowan.
The Dorothy Building is an out-of-the-way, quiet living area for students. Previously the quarters of live-in staff, this building was named after one of its previous inhabitants and converted in 1980 to a small, residential building.
The Gourlay Building was completed in 2007 as a new residential wing. Designed by Peter Elliott, the College Architect, the building incorporates 22 ensuite student rooms, one tutor's flat and two apartments for visiting scholars. Built on the site of the old stockpile for firewood, the building was often referred to as 'Woodheap'.
The Memorial Building (Jeopardy)
Opened in 1958, the War Memorial Building was soon nicknamed 'Jeopardy' when the Warden, Ronald Cowan, warned that students ‘who did not work hard enough would find their place in jeopardy’.
Kitchens is a building housing residential students on the first floor and offices associated with catering for the Dining Hall below.
The Evan Burge Building
The Evan Burge Building holds Trinity's Leeper Libary, the Buzzard Lecture Theatre, a number of tutorial and and meeting rooms, and the Information Technology Services department. The Leeper Library was founded in the earliest days of the College and contains notable research collections in Law, Theology and Australian History, as well as medieval manuscripts and rare books.
The Leeper Building is named in honour of the first Warden, Dr Alexander Leeper. It houses the College’s Reception office, Warden's office, the residential College administration, the Perry Room, two tutorial rooms, the Advancement office, Archives office, Marketing and Communications, and Human Resources departments.
The Summerhouse was originally build as the tennis pavilion and is now a small office occupied by Trinity’s Director of Music.
The Theological School (OWL)
The Old Warden's Lodge (OWL),is the home of the Theological School, and provides office accommodation for the Dean of the Theological School and for teaching and administrative staff, as well as seminar rooms and a common room. It underwent a major refurbishment in 2009–10, including the addition of a new wing housing additional lecture rooms.
Common Rooms and Facilities
The Dining Hall
The Dining Hall is central to College life. Students and staff use it as a communal eating area and during term, the residential College has formal dinners in Hall four evenings a week. The Hall displays many fine portraits of the College Founders and notable alumni. In 2012, the Dining Hall was refurbished; a new kitchen was created, heating and cooling added, lighting and acoustics upgraded and an informal dining space developed.
The Sharwood Room
The quaint, free-standing building at the eastern end of the Clarke’s building was originally constructed as the Chemistry and Biology Laboratory, and preceded any biology labs at the University proper. Following a gift of £1,000 from Sir William Clarke in 1885, architects Reed, Henderson and Smart designed this charming, pseudo-ecclesiastical room with high ceilings and large windows. The building was later used as a music room, and since its renovation and naming after the fourth Warden in 1993 as the Sharwood Room, it has continued as a music room as well as being used for meetings and functions.
Junior Common Room (JCR)
All undergraduate residents are members of the Junior Common Room (JCR), which is a space for their communal life, a room for meeting, reading, socialising, dancing and debating, as well as a forum for discussion and Fireside Chats, and a rallying point for unity amongst the diverse community of residents.
Cripps Middle Common Room (MCR)
Established in Upper Bishops’ as the Cripps Room in 1982 and reformed in 2001 as the Cripps Middle Common Room, the MCR is open to senior undergraduates and postgraduate resident students and provides these students with a social and academic oasis.
The Gourlay Basement is used as a student lounge, offering satellite TV and kitchen amenities. It is also used as a multi-purpose room and showcases pieces of the college’s art collection.
Senior Common Room (SCR)
All College tutors, lecturers, and senior administrative members of staff across the College are eligible for membership of the Senior Common Room (SCR). Located in the Bishops’ building, the SCR is an intellectual and social meeting place hosting Fireside Chats and talks by Visiting Scholars and alumni. Learn more about staff benefits at Trinity.
The Bulpadock was once a grazing ground for dairy cows at Trinity College. Its name translates to bull’s paddock and a cast bronze bull overlooks this area. It has become the college mascot, a common meeting point, and a place for study, sports and relaxation.
Bishop Moorhouse planted the College Oak in 1880; the Bishop expressed hopes that 'many generations of students would sit under the shadow of that tree'.
Trinity’s Anglican foundation and Christian values and ideals are signified in its Chapel. It is a place for worship, a place for reflection and prayer, and a sacred space where all are welcome. It was designed and built between 1911 and 1917 by the Tasmanian architect Alexander North and was made possible by a gift from John Horsfall in memory of his daughter, Edith Carington.